Sunday, June 21, 2009

An Attack on Psoriasis

My son suffers from severe dry skin, including psoriasis on his scalp, dry flaking eyelids, and dry patches around his ears that tend to crack and bleed. He’s 12 ½, pretty much a teen, and super conscious of his appearance. But he’s still not great about taking care of himself. So helping him handle these issues has been a challenge.


He’s started showering and washing his hair every day. He uses Neutrogena T-Gel and a shampoo from Hawaii with moisturizing oils. And he puts Vaseline intensive care lotion around his ears. The lotion helps the dryness around the ears, but we’ve had no luck getting a handle on the psoriasis.


Research I’ve been able to dig up recently (with the help of my friend Laurel who is into all things healthy and natural) seems to indicate that psoriasis and skin issues can be linked to gluten intolerance, and can also be improved by adding fish oils to your diet.


So we now have a new quest to follow, and a newly expanded list of ingredients to avoid. I’ve added the following to my initial list of ingredients to avoid: wheat, barley, rye, oats, gluten starches, and gluten stabilizers.


Although, confession time, I will use what we have first – gluten or no gluten – since I can’t afford to waste and replace it all. Luckily we don’t have much in the house right now. But I am mourning the impending loss of bread… one of my favorite foods.


I'm turning gluten-free
I think I'm turning gluten-free
I really think so
Turning gluten-free
I think I'm turning gluten-free
I really think so
I'm turning gluten-free
I think I'm turning gluten-free

No comments:

Post a Comment